I am 23 years old. For the past seven years, due to several problems in my life, I had serious thoughts of suicide and I self harm myself. The intensity of self-harm and suicide thoughts has increased considerably with time. I know that, for the time being, even though i hav suicidal thoughts of slashing my wrists, I dont have the courage to make a fatal cut. But, I am afraid that I might overcome this and wil eventually get the courage to do so. Once I tried an overdose of medicines, but since the medicines weren't strong enough, I just ended up feeling dizzy.
I cannot control my emotions sometimes and lose control over my temper to some extent. I always think it would be really nice if I died somehow. I even pray to God to kill me. Sometimes, when I am facing some problem, I just want to be unconscious or to have a dead brain so that I will not hav to feel this pain. But otherwise, when I am with my parents or friends, I am happy but, at the same time, I am lonely too.
It's not that I always sit alone and think up suicide thoughts. It's not like that. I am very happy at times but I cannot even face small problems nowadays. The first thing that comes to my mind is why am I alive? I should be dead. I very much want to talk about my problems to a doctor but I come frm a conservative Indian family and I won't be able to see a doctor myself. My parents wil have to take me. But I can't even think about letting my parents know about these problems of mine. That's why I am writing this to you.
Do I suffer from depression or any other type of mental illness? Is it necessary that I seek medical help? Am I just exaggerating things?
I was on the verge of getting sexually abused wen I was a child. However, nothing happened. Even though I didn't realize it at that time, later on, when I grew up, I felt bad about it.
Is this a possible reason for my problems? I had problems with my studies and now I am recovering from a break up with my lover. I am not able to handle any problems without thinking of suicide. As for self-harm, I make small cuts on my skin and bang my head on walls or bang my head myself strongly with my hands. I feel extremely guilty for this problem of mine and want to stop this but i am helpless. I don't have control over this.
Please give me an answer as soon as possible.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.