I have been in a friendship/love affair with my girlfriend in the last 2 years and she is bipolar. In the last few months, this understanding and loving relationship has turned into a tense and hostile one with constant arguments. I have tried to be supportive by attending support group meetings, taking a great deal of workload off of her plate, helping her financially...all to no avail. Her manic episodes have become more and more apparent and now we've just recently had a argument that ended up with her physically attacking me. To add to the emotional injury, I just recently discovered that she is sleeping with another man. She and I have talked since her violent outburst and she has apologized for her behaviors and appreciates and loves me but I still can't get past the betrayal of this not occurring again. I really love her and want to forgive. Will my loyalty be enough to keep the love there in the relationship?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.